First introduced in May 2012, Spec Ops or Special Operations are limited time challenges where players hope to earn unique Boss weapons, gadgets or items through battle and a new hero by completing specified objectives or tasks.
Once the time for the mission has expired, the hero is put back in the vault. The heroes and heroines are expected to be re-released into the game with 3 day offers. To-date, Mocking Bird, Emma Frost, and Magik had been re-introduced, each at 200CP each. Special Operations can be accessed from the Flight Deck or the Mission screen.
While normal missions require 10 energy to access battles, Spec Ops also require Unstable Iso-8 to do the events. It costs Unstable Iso-8 for battles and for Deploy missions from 10 to 20 onwards. It can be obtained through gifts from friends, dropped in battles or deploys, or purchased from the store However, once the mission is expired that flavor of Unstable Iso-8 goes away with it.
Players can do both Story Missions and Special Operations at the same time without aborting the other. All Special Operation Missions scales difficulty to the players' agent level, much like premium missions, as opposed to free missions, which a fixed agent level was given and was scaling difficulties to agent level after the mission was 5-starred.
As of November 30, 2012, there have been 5 Special Operation Chapters, with The Wild Hunt (Valkyrie) ended on January 07, 2013.
Spec Ops 6
COMING SOON! Special Operation 6: Cry Havok! Several new mutant villains await as you embark on a quest to unlock the brother of Cyclops - our first Blaster reward hero! Best of all, a new feature will debut with this Spec Op that allows you to get a second playable CHARACTER. "Not a hero..."
Possible Spec Ops 6 Deployments
The usual pattern that emerged, starting from Spec Ops 2 (the one that started the task-based process instead of the 15-star process), is:
- One or more recently released Heroes;
- Several underused older heroes, and;
- Marvel history has nothing to do with the Spec Ops Rewards hero and the deploy requirements
For the second category, I'm purely guessing (but I still feel this is a safe bet), by basis of Playdom being a company and all, that they have nothing to gain by choosing the more popular heroes in-game (Cap, Thor, Hulk) as requirements, because a lot of people already have them, and that won't boost sales as much as choosing the less popular ones. Still, this is merely speculation.
- Mockingbird - Black Widow and Spider-Woman
- Emma Frost - Colossus, Scarlet Witch, and Jean Grey
- Magik - Gambit, Nightcrawler, Rogue, and Black Panther
- Ghost Rider - Quicksilver, Hercules, Gambit, Daredevil
- Valkyrie - Beast, Kitty Pryde, Storm, Wolverine
Why they decided to use Gambit twice, I have no idea. Maybe Gambit didn't sell enough despite his popularity?
So, we can probably exempt the following from the pool:
- Previous Spec Ops Heroes: Mockingbird, Emma, Magik, GR, and Val.
- Our starting heroes: Black Widow, Hawkeye, Iron Man. And if they were a requirement, hey freebie!
- Popular heroes (especially PVP): This list may vary. The only one I can probably confirm in here is Cap. Mayyybe Strange. I haven't seen Adamantium levels, but I don't think it'd vary too much from the hero selection I encounter in the top 1%.
- Previous Hero Requirements
So, who are left in the list?
- 15 CPs: Iron Fist, She Hulk, Invisible Woman, Cyclops, Ms. Marvel
- 23 CPs: Luke Cage, Sif, Black Cat
- 33 CPs: Mr Fantastic, Human Torch, Thing
- 48 CPs: War Machine
- 90+ CPs: Tigra, Spider-man, Thor, Hulk, Deadpool, Cable?
Safest bet here is Tigra. Deadpool is a toss-up, as we have no precedent. Personally, I feel he (and the succeeding PVP reward heroes) now falls into the same category as Tigra. IF Deadpool becomes a requirement, Cable may also be one, depending on whether he gets released before the Spec Ops or not. The freebies (Iron Fist, She Hulk, IW, Cyclops, Ms. Marvel) haven't been any Epic Deploy requirement for Spec Ops stuff, because they're cheap/easy to get, so it's possible that Playdom won't make them requirements as well.
So far, I'd rank them like so:
- 90% - Tigra
- Good chance - Deadpool
- Fair toss up - Luke Cage, Black Cat, Mr. Fantastic, Thing, War Machine, Sif, Spider-Woman (Spec Ops 1 req, so she can be discounted from the Prev. Requirements thing)
- Medium to Low chance - Thor, Hulk, Human Torch. Basis - enjoying relative success in PVP, so Playdom has no need to push them for player purchase. Spider-man, not as popular in PVP, but he's SPIDER-MAN, and he has cool PvE stuff, so lots of players may already have him.
- Low chance - 15 CPs - freebie, so lots of people have them already, therefore low sales.
IF they're repeating requirements, I'd put Rogue and Black Panther on the Fair toss up, the rest on the Medium to Low chance.
IF they'll start with the storyline-linked heroes with the next Spec Ops, and IF Vision/Ultron is involved, I'm betting on Tigra, Luke Cage, War Machine, and Spider-man. (271 CPs) If they're pushing Deadpool, he can trade places with Spidey.
Marvel Avengers Alliance Spec Ops 6 Task List